Environmental Commitment and Data Security
In an age of Identity Theft, Data Security is an area of our lives we all need to take particular care. The environment has also long been important to me, long before Climate Change etc became a popular and political issue.
The reasons were primarily, landfill, resources and air quality.
But, why should this mean a reduction in the quality of service, or an increase in cost.
UKUnpublished takes simple steps to contribute to the effort, by using the simplest phrase - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
The steps below may seem too simple to have any impact, but if we all take part, it will make a difference.
- Reuse of all paper (where possible), for example as notepaper.
- This will not include any paper that includes any personal details, as Data Security is also a very important concern, and everything must be done to ensure your details do not fall into the wrong hands.
- Only printing documents and emails when absolutely necessary.
- This can be seen in UKUnpublished's policies
- Printing only small sections of the manuscript when checking alignment, font, size, margins, headings.
- Accepting manuscripts via email.
- Providing electronic proofs to Author
- Using email as frequently as possible (saving on Paper, Ink, Envelopes). Email has the added benefits of significantly faster and reliable delivery.
- Shred and Recycle/Compost all paper possible.
- While reducing landfill usage, it also provides excellent Data Security.
Each sheet of A4 paper is cut into more than 4,000 pieces.
- Charging devices such as mobile phones using the excess power of the computer, and not leaving devices on (or on standby), when not in use (which saves more energy than you might think).
UKUnpublished uses an external payment provider, Paypal (most notably associated with eBay, but also used by major retailers around the world). So UKUnpublished never holds customer payment details.
For the payment of Author Royalties by Bank Transfer, the details are never held by UKUnpublished, other than to enter the details into the bank's online system. Once entered, the details are destroyed, and are then only held behind bank grade security.
In addition, the bank login details are never written down and kept, or stored in any insecure methods.
I hope that by taking these simple steps, I can encourage others to do the same, and we can have a positive impact on the environment.